The Benefits of Cycling
According to Wikipedia, approximately 1 in 5 individuals has some kind of disability, based upon the 2000 Census, totaling 49.7 million people. In fact, it is one of the largest minority groups in the U.S. (One in 10 individuals has a severe disability). There may be some groups, due to age or special health concerns, who have specialized needs applicable to cycling, but are not included in this calculation.
- Cycling can enrich the lives of all people, including those with disabilities because it provides:
- An active/healthy lifestyle
- A sense of freedom and independence
- Opportunities for socialization and to gain confidence.
- An important mode of transportation, which connects people to services, social opportunities and communities to each other
- Joy – cycling is simply fun
For additional benefits, click here.